Thursday 15 May 2014

Tuesday, 22 April 2014

More Mounds In The Ground.


The weather being beautiful we decided to take the dog for a walk to Arnside , but being by the sea and it being Easter and the weather nice it was PACKED ! , nowhere to park and masses of people - so we back tracked and went to Sizergh , parked the car up and went for a walk . I even remembered to take my camera ! . Believe it or not this is the site of a 'Iron Age' or 'Romano-British settlement .


The problem with sites like this is they are -"just mounds in the ground!" as my wife put it ! and photographing them to make them look interesting is I find - hard !. You can just make out a bank running from the bottom centre upwards between the small bushes and exiting photo top left just below the horizon .


Charlie tries to look interested and give scale to the photo . It's hard to make anything of this site - it has been dug , a skeleton of 'a quite young person' being found , I think the pottery remains date it to the Iron age . Although my wife and dog were unimpressed I like this site !.


My wife and dog pose in the centre of the site , the boundary wall runs on the top of the mound behind the bush .


In the next field I came across the first cowslips I've seen this year .


A view over the Lyth Valley towards the Coniston Fells in the background , at this point my camera batteries (which had been flashing a warning for about a week !) gave out - Rats !

No comments:

Post a Comment